DR. ABDUL KALAM ESSAY CONTEST
In collaboration with the Indo-American Center (IAC), IAHM helped conduct a timely essay contest inspired by the April 2011 Chicago visit of the former President of India, Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam. Contestants were invited to submit essays on a present-day example of environmental degradation and the scientific research needed to promote awareness of its consequences.
PROGRAMS WITH THE CHICAGO CULTURAL ALLIANCE
Mama’s Kitchen: Healthy Eating and Heritage
Summer 2011 in partnership with the Arab American Action Network, 6318 West 63rd Street, Chicago, IL 60629.
Integrating Heritage-based Practices and Current Knowledge of Climate Change
Spring 2011 in partnership with Casa Michoacan, Pilsen, 1638 S. Blue Island Avenue, Chicago, IL 60608.
Talking About… Identity A cross-cultural discussion in partnership with the Cambodian American Heritage Museum. Participants viewed a thought-provoking exhibit by Kip Fulbeck: Part Asian, 100% HAPA at the Field Museum and engaged in a discussion on identity in America.
Saturday, July 10, 2010 Maori Gallery, Field Museum, 1400 South Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60605.
Talking About… Im/migration An internal community discussion on Im/migration at the Levy Senior Center in Evanston. Individuals from all generations discussed why they came to this country and stayed.
Sunday, 1 August – 1:00 – 3:00pm
“Gateway to India” A tour exploring the Indian American footprint in Chicago beginning with Swami Vivekananda, developed as part of the Community Showcase series for the City of Chicago’s “Bold Plans, Big Dreams” Burnham Plan Centennial.
October 10, 2009 Chicago Cultural Center to West Ridge/Devon Avenue.
Past Programs with Other Ethnic Organizations
- Bodies in Motion collaboration with the Brazilian Cultural Center, May 2009
- Creating Community with Filipino American Society of Chicago, April 5, 2008
- How We Teach . . .Teaches with Korean American Resource and Cultural Center, March 24, 2007
- Mirror, Mirror on the Wall, How Am I Perceived by All? with Chicago Japanese American Historical Society, March 18, 2006
- CC Family Initiative, April 23, 2006
- Telling Tales to Teach, with Swahili Institute of Chicago, March 12, 2005
- Chicago Public Schools Parents Workshop, February 23, 2005
- Family Initiative, April 23, 2006
- Welcome to the World! Birth and Naming Ceremonies, with Arab American Action Network, March 27, 2004
- Chicago Public School Parents Workshop, February 10, 2004
- Mehendi: More Than Adornment, April 23, 2003