THE STRUGGLE FOR CITIZENSHIP:
The Long and Winding Road to Becoming American 1790-1946
- Share stories of your immigrant experience & check out stories from our growing collection.
- Become an IAHM Volunteer.
- Intern with us to help expand our Oral History Collection.
- Early Indian immigrants were deemed ineligible for U.S. citizenship until 1946?
Learn more about their fight for the right to citizenship.
- Indians living in the United States were actively involved in India’s freedom struggle?
Learn more about the Indian independence movement in the United States
- The first Indian in the United States is said to have been a man from Madras who visited Salem, Massachusetts in 1790?
Learn more about early Indian visitors to the United States
- Indians served in the U.S. military during the Civil War?
Learn more about Indians in the military
- The first Sikh gurudwara in the U.S. was established in Stockton, California in 1912?
Learn more about how Indian Americans have transformed the religious landscape of the United States